SAN FRANCISCO AND THE CALIFORNIA COAST



Katie and I took a week long trip to San Francisco, CA. We have spent a lot of time in San Francisco and have strongly considered moving to SF after I finish school. This trip to the city was a little different than the others. The romance of the city had sort of worn off. With that being said we both still really love the city of San Francisco, but I have the feeling that we're looking at the city from a different lens. The idea of living in the city seems more "real" and looking at the prospect of a realistic everyday life mindset began to kick in. I love you San Francisco, but it's not you, it's me.




We spent most of our trip at the GOOD Hotel in the SOMA district. It wasn't the best place in the world but the "green" aspect of the hotel was a refreshing view on how a hotel might keep a hip vibe while staying as efficient as possible. It's not in the best area, but they manage to provide a decent setting for your stay. Website



Luna Park is one of those weird spots that we visit every time we're in the city. It's not weird because of the restaurant itself, but weird because there's one in Los Angeles and it seems in some way silly to be spending time there when we could in reality spend time there whenever we want. However the bartender here makes the best Old Fashioned I've ever had in my life and you can't pass that up. Website





Pizzeria Delfina is that "go-to" spot for us. We ate here three times over the course of the week. This time around we had the "Fenghi" pizza which is a limited-time offer pizza that Delfina has added due to available fresh produce. The other pizza that we enjoyed was the "Magic Pie." The "Magic Pie" is one of those secret menu items that you have to be "in the know" to really get. In reality it's just the Panna pie with fennel sausage. It's the best pizza I've ever had. It was so good that we ordered it two days in a row. Website



I had to drop into Benny Gold's new space. It's a lot bigger than his last retail spot and I encourage anyone to stop by. He is one of the dudes that really got me into the whole cross-over of graphic design and apparel design. There are a lot of digital illustrators who end up calling themselves graphic designers because they are in an industry that allows them to work with computers, but this guy is the real deal. He is a graphic designer who through hard work and skill made a name for himself in the streetwear industry. Website





Bi-Rite Creamery is one of my favorites in the Mission. This time around I got the salted caramel and roasted banana, while Katie got the chocolate and roasted banana. The lavender ice cream is a must try. Website




I know this seems ridiculous, but how could I go to San Francisco and not get a haircut at Freeman Sporting Club. I always wanted to start a menswear shop with a barber in it, but these guys beat me to it, and did it way better than I ever could. This is their third store and only space that isn't in NYC. My barber also put me on Cool Grease, a Japanese pomade brand that is way better for my hair than my usual orange can of Murray's. Website





Tartine Bakery. We didn't go to Tartine this trip due to the fact that we never woke up in time. However I just wanted to state that they have the best bread and pastries in the world. In fact there is a book that tells you how to make these world famous breads. Website




I had to stop at Unionmade. I guess it's one of those menswear icon things. It's weird when you walk into a place like Unionmade that is full of stuff that you know you want but shouldn't empty your bank account for. Todd Barket was there and they were taking advantage of the downtime by rearranging the whole store. If you don't know about Todd Barket and Unionmade you should look it up. It was voted one of the 10 best independent retailers by GQ magazine if that holds any weight in your mind. Website




Back to Bi-Rite for Sam's Sundae. This sundae is Chocolate ice cream topped with homemade whipped cream, sea salt, and citrus olive oil. It is possibly one of the most odd/amazing things I have ever eaten and if you are a fan of ridiculous foodie garbage, you have to eat this at least once in your life.





Katie and I decided to take the 1 home. Also known as Pacific Coast Highway. If you aren't from California I'm sure the name explains itself. Anyways, we were on the way back from San Francisco on the Pacific Coast and decided to take a few stops to enjoy the beaches. I highly recommend the drive to any California native who hasn't taken it before. You really gain a new appreciation for how beautiful the state is.